Friday, June 15, 2012

Caves and falls


It's funny how much a backpacker's accommodation can start to feel like home. It's also funny how much warmer 6 deg C feels compared to -2 deg C. I actually wore shorts while I ate my dinner outside tonight.

Wanting to get to Kumeu River Winery by 10:30 this morning, I departed the Lodge around 7. I said goodbye to Malcom and some of the hilarious ladies there for Field days. The drive was a little uneventful with the exception of some spectacular scenery, pretty normal for New Zealand. Oh, and Auckland traffic was miserable although much less than Atlanta. The drivers are significantly better.

Arriving early to the winery despite the traffic, the ladies on hand looked a little puzzled when I introduced myself. Regardless, they welcomed me openly and showed me the giant oak barrels for aging, the presses, holding vats, fermentation vats, bottling area, lab, and the giant warehouse. It wasn't until about 10 minutes later when one of the owners arrived, knew who I was, and immediately began serving wine samples. It was awesome. Some snooty french people came in while I was tasting the wine, asked for a tour and were denied. I'm privileged.

Accepting that today would, other than that little rendezvous, be really dull I hit the road again heading north to Whangarei. It was pretty easy to accept though, considering the dreary weather. I drove along the coast, taking in the glorious shoreline dotted with little (freezing) surfers. One spot in particular, Langs Beach (or near there), had a very very colorful loo.


In Whangarei there are several outdoorsy spots, one of which is Abbey Caves. I found it on accident really, the idea of walking in a creepy dark tunnel alone doesn't sound appealing. Regardless, I pulled off at the signpost and walked a little ways down the path, chickening out before I got to the mouth of the deep dark scary caves. But I got pictures of ponies!

Continuing my hunt for outdoor hikes, I went to the AH Reed Memorial Kauri Park. Intending it to be a short hike, I walked up to the Pukenui falls and weaved in and out of the majestic Kauris along the way. It also was along a beautiful stone creekbed which made the scenery spectacular.


At the peak of the falls was a crowd of young people, my age I'd suppose. Being that awkward American, I unabashedly walked up to them and introduced myself to one on the outskirts. Turns out they were from Argentina on working holiday. The young woman I spent a bit talking to recommended that I hike to the Whangarei falls. I had no idea that hiking to them from there was possible, though I intended to drive there later. Stay outside and save money on gas? Heck yes. I walked.

A little sidenote about gas. It is ridiculously expensive. I feel like every time I fill up this beast I'm needing to fill it mere seconds later. It's absurd. Bye bye savings.

Anyways, I opted to hike to the much bigger falls which led me along a canopy boardwalk, alongside a paradise-style riding stable, through cow paddocks, over bridges (the kiwis love their swinging bridges), along the creek and finally to the falls. Along the way I did see a large tree with ropes danging precariously over the creek. There were hand-holds to climb it. Much like a cat, I stupidly scrambled up the giant tree and had no idea how to get back down. It was tricky. I'll leave it at that.


I can't even describe how utopian the scenery was walking to the falls. Therefore pictures will have to do.

Fully hiked out, I did some necessary errands in Whangarei (aka petrol) and headed towards Paihia. However, I changed my mind at the last minute and decided to stay in Kerikeri instead. Proving to be the perfect driving day (on an off spitting rain), the sky opened up on several different occasions to reveal a spectacular rainbow (actually try 4 of them). Quite common here and in OZ. I also watched the sun set as I drove to Kerikeri but no luck getting a reputable photo.


Overall a good decision to pass Russell with the exception that finding the new holiday parks after dark are proving quite challenging. Regardless, I found this place and once again met new people. I had dinner with a guy from the Czech Republic and a couple from Malaysia. All three were on working holiday, each for 8-12 months. Apparently everyone on working holiday comes here.

The facilities are really nice here, albeit open air and no closed doors. At least at the Country Lodge there were sliding doors that gave one the illusion that it was warmer than the outdoors. As I sit here typing this wrapped in my sleepingbag my car is slowly getting colder and colder. Sign I need to got to bed? Yes. Call me granny.

9pm bedtime. But hey, on GA time that's 5am. Living on the wild side.

No comments:

Post a Comment