Saturday, June 9, 2012

Are words needed?


Sleeping in my own bed and with fluffy pillows was positively magical. I didn't want to get up. I think I actually managed to sleep off the cold I brought over from Australia. Perfect timing!

This morning I started off with a run through the Auckland Domain (Gardens). It's amazing how easily I remembered how to get there... even with the year's time buffer.

Oh, and the view outside my window (I could afford a room with a view!) was amazing.

Another thing I recalled correctly: just how incredibly painful and difficult it was to walk from BASE Auckland to the campervan rentals. It was agony.

All southerners will appreciate this tidbit: when I arrived at the desk, the worker was referencing my email to ensure that he had everything right. He asked “you mentioned that you had booked with 'y'all' before... who is 'y'all'?” I had to explain the southern slang to him. It was awesome. Once I got my campervan, Wazza (yes, the name is actually on the side of the vehicle), I headed out of Auckland. Nearly as soon as I hit highway 1, I felt confident enough with my left-sided driving and turned on the radio. The song “All by myself” blasted and I about died laughing. Alone. In a camper. In NZ. Slightly weird. I've come to terms with it. Other songs in the queue included “Feelin' Lonely” by the one and only Backstreet Boys which incited another riot of laughter.

On the way to Coromandel I got lost. Be surprised. Somehow I ended up in the Auckland airport.

I finally got my bearings straight which lead me to SH25 which is NOT a highway. DO NOT be fooled by the name. It's like the road to Paris Mtn Stables, add some ferns, switch the sides of the road and add more sharp turns. It was maddening. Gas, brake, gas, brake, sharp turn, gas, brake, brake, gas, turn, gas, brake. Mad.en.ing.

The roads eventually opened up to the coastline completely out of nowhere which was positively breath-taking. It was one of those God moments where there is just no possible way that He didn't form this land. It was stunning.

Stopping along the roadside, I had to take a few seconds to let the sights soak in. A small family with their dog, Steve, had also stopped. After snapping a few photos and chatting a bit with the family I was back on the road, destined for Hahei.

The trek seemed like it took FOREVER but in reality it was only about 3 hour's drive. Looking at the map, I covered a LOT of ground in such a short time. When I get gas I probably won't be as thrilled with my decision.

There are simply no words to describe Cathedral Cove. A short 45 minute trek led me to the most beautiful, pristine coastline with random rock outcroppings and giant pinnacles in the water. I met a lovely family from India, particularly on girl about my age who visits her uncle here quite often. What a lucky, lucky girl.

On my way back towards the carpark I chatted with an elderly kiwi couple for quite some time. As it turns out, these two actually live in a motor home and have been for the past 4 years. Originally from Christchurch, they have spent their lives traveling around the North island since they ran out of South island to explore a while ago. They also taught me some local, and some what derogatory, lingo. The term? JAFA: just another fabulous (transcribed slightly differently.. direct quote) Aucklander. I love old people.

I explored some of the other cove and bays along the way including Stingray bay, which I had to myself, and Gemstone bay, also completely deserted. On my return from the Gemstone bay, the rain started to sprinkle and gradually increase. For this, I am thankful for ponchos. I'm going to see what I want in this country rain, snow, or shine. My policy is that if it is daylight I will be outside. If it is raining, add a poncho.

I took my precious time leaving the Cathedral Cove area but eventually parted with the glorious coastline to drive to River Glen Holiday park.

Oh, and I found a yak.



Of course, the sunset was spectacular en route.


It is in the middle of nowehere.

Correction, drive to your perceived middle of nowhere, find a gravel road, follow that for 4 kilometers and then you are at River Glen. The keeper was lovely, taking breaks from our conversation to holler at her dog, Luke, who was chasing her son's car out of the park.

Once in the kitchen, I wasted zero time plugging in my dying laptop to start writing about today. I'm sharing the teeny tiny kitchen facilities with about 8 seasonal kiwi pickers, all from Solomon Island which is right by Paupa New Guinea. They are all very kind, and offered me dinner! It's great having company, even though the accent is rather difficult to understand. However, we are all united by one thing: tonight the All Blacks play Ireland. That would explain the surplus of Irish at the BASE hostel. The TV that we're watching it on is probably in the ballpark of 10 inches and every 15 minutes or so it goes fuzzy and you have to change the channel back to one. Whatever, it's TV. Except, despite our efforts, getting the game was a fail.

I think today I have heard more than 10 accents (more if I count full-on languages), each from different parts of the globe. Not one of them was from the states. Going home will be weird and so.. boring.


1 comment:

  1. Love the pictures, particularly the ones with you in them.

    ReplyDelete