Thursday, May 31, 2012

Bye bye LEI...


I can't believe I went to bed before 9 last night. Just call me mom.

You'd think after getting that much sleep getting up for the 6 am snorkel would be easy. False. Absolutely false.

We had a pretty good turnout this morning for the snorkel, I'd gander about 12 or so including Bob, me and Jayna. We didn't see a whole lot of colorful fish aside from the rabbitfish, butterflyfish, parrotfish... the usual. However, we found our pack of baby barracudas again except this time they were being chased about by a massive fish (name unknown to me) that was trying fervently to grab a bite. In addition the bottom of the ocean was swarming with massive grouper, each anywhere from 2-3 feet long. Big, big fish.


It was a morning of the green sea turtles though, these guys were everywhere and quite friendly. Sylvia let me borrow her wetsuit which was great for me but it doesn't allow the wearer to dive deep. It was probably a good thing though, given my ears. I dove down anyways which was an uphill battle but I got some epic sea turtle pictures. It's definitely worth the pain.


It was nice to have a big chunk of time before leaving LEI. We had the quiz that morning as well as a review. The rest of the waiting time was spent looking at Jayna's (incredible) photos. I'm talking amazing.

Once we finally were summoned to leave, it turns out that Kyle L. and I were on a separate and absolutely tiny plane. It had about 7 passengers and two pilots. However, promptly after we took off one of the pilots went to sleep and the other was doing his log books. I felt safe. Oh, and we were given earplugs. It was that noisy.

The takeoff was terrifying and the landing equally so. The ride to Noosa was far less thrilling. Bob (human) got an email from Simon that informed us that Bob (glider) had died. Not the happy news we were thirsty for. Poor Simon.. he loved that little guy!

The grocery shopping for the students was absolute mayhem, mainly on my part since the rooming arrangements were swapped up and I was doing math at warp speed while students were asking questions I didn't have answers to. I think my brain is fried.

Lucky for me, Coral Beach Resort is practically luxury accommodations. Not only that, but JoAnn found a cane toad! I literally dropped all my luggage, jumped the unsuspecting critter and proceeded to parade this warty creature around the complex, knocking on each room and shoving him in the faces of the residents.

It's actions like this that make me confident that I'm well suited for this position.

1 comment:

  1. I found this entry very amusing. Sleeping or absent-minded pilots taking you over the GBR??? Cane toads that have been planted just for you at each location you visit. Whats up?

    ReplyDelete