Thursday, May 10, 2012

Token predeparture post

Fair warning: this post will be boring.

There aren't pictures.

No pictures = boring. How I make it through pages and pages of scientific literature is beyond me but I strongly suspect it has something to do with Ctrl+F. Confessions of a grad student. (See PhD Comics) This is my life.

This particular non-picture laden post is more of me giving myself the benefit of sounding mildly prepared for the month and a half tramp that I'll be doing with (and without) preplanned events.

More without. Aside from the point.

So for those of you who are keeping track (let's be honest, we can narrow this down to you two... MOM... DAD...) here's the tentative schedules... It'll be fun comparing them to what actually happens.

Australia

May 15-20: Sydney, Featherdale Wildlife Sanctuary
I honestly have no idea what to expect from Sydney. It's completely new experience for me and we're staying at the YHA on the rocks.. aka close to the Royal Botanic Gardens.. hello epic running experiences. 
 
Fly Sydney to Brisbane
 
May 21-22: Binna Burra

All I know about Binna Burra is bats and tents. Another novel experience for this TA.

May 23-27: Carnarvon Gorge
Dingoes, cockatoos (at 5 am no less), kookaburras (joining the cockatoos), and some absolutely unbelievable hikes. I. Can't. Wait.

May 28-June 1: Lady Elliott Island (!!!) aka Paradise...
All you can eat meals, snorkeling daily, sharks, nemo, manta rays...

June 2 – June 4: Noosa, Australia Zoo
Noosa National Park... it was an incredible experience and I can't WAIT to do it again. Oh, and koalas just kinda hang out wherever there. It's awesome. 

And then we have finals and grade in Brisbane (I assume). With copious quantities of caffeine. And sugar.

New Zealand
 
June 8: Auckland
Technically I fly in so late it's actually the 9th. I contemplated not getting a hostel since it'll be that late. Sadly, the sensible, non-adventurous me said that I had to get a room for the night. *sigh* That's $20 NZD I'll never see again.

June 9: Coromandel
Pick up the camper, drive haphazardly out of Auckland (I've done it once.. the second time should be easy.. right?!) and on to Coromandel. Last go Annie and I had to nix this one off the list thanks to a schedule change due to weather. I'm determined to see Cathedral Cove. And the hot water beach. Location of the overnight stay is TBD... like a lot of overnight stays in NZ.

June 10: Coromandel... part II.
See everything I missed on the 9th... then head south near Hamilton/Cambridge.

June 11: DairyNZ
As part of my independent study, I'm going to DairyNZ and having some interviews with researchers there. Excited.. understatement. I'm so absolutely blessed to be able to do this.

June 12: Hamilton
Since Hamilton is the dairy capital of NZ I figured a whole day to soak up the sights and cow smells couldn't hurt.

June 13-14: Field Days
Largest Agricultural Fair in the Southern Hemisphere. AND I GET TO GO.

June 15: Head North
No real plans for this one. Just point the iPhone compass north and drive. Or don't bother with a compass.

June 16: Kauri
I heard the trees are pretty up in Northland. Maybe I'll go have a look.

June 17: Winery
NZ wines. This doesn't need an explanation.

June 18: Around Auckland
Note the "around". This translates loosely into avoid returning to the city at all costs. Google earth shows some fun beaches. Promising?

June 19: I don't think this day actually deserves the underline. I leave in the WEE hours (I'm talking 4am) of the morning, and that's saying a lot after my experiences this semester going into lab shortly after 6am.

And then 20+ hours + layovers in an airplane. Recirculating air.*cringe*

Other than the boring and wordy itineraries above, I also have a few goals, no, mandatory activities (bucket list so to speak) to partake in on this go-round. I figured actually posting them would make me follow through with them. The list is short, and thus, open to suggestions.

1. Expose all students to the famous, and wonderful, "tim-tam slam". It really is life-altering.
2. Sunset in Noosa Ntl Park
3. Walk(Run) the Sydney Bridge
4. Sydney's Royal Botanic Gardens
5. Sushi in Brisbane
6. Hear the dingoes in Carnarvon. Not really a choice, but I'm sure it'll happen.
7. Dig a hole at hot water beach. There's a reason it's called that.

Can't wait! Maybe I should stop procrastinating and pack? Nah. That's what Saturday night is for.

No comments:

Post a Comment