Friday, May 18, 2012

Constant vigilance


Alarm, throw on clothes, and head out the door. Routine.

This particular morning I decided to join the masses that are preparing for the half-marathon (held Sunday) and run the Harbor Bridge. It showed, again, some beautiful views of the Sydney Opera House but given that it was pre-sunrise... it was just a lot of twinkling, man-made lights.

However, once I found my way back to my room, the sunrise was spectacular this morning out our window. It may or may not have made me late to breakfast, a point that was emphasized by the faculty... and here I am, the exemplary TA, rolling in post-7:30. Oops. The sunrise photos are well worth it.


A bizarre thing happened this morning... I had some time after breakfast before we started the day's activities. I almost didn't know what to do with myself. So, I spent time battling (and verbally assaulting) the JMP program that I've grown to know and love thanks to my thesis work and sensory class. I ran some typical statistics on the ibis data (I felt a little ridiculous doing it) but hey, any practice for my thesis analysis is welcome. So far my analysis conclusions are as such: my data are weird.

From there the biology group headed to the breakfast room to discuss their vigilance activity. It's really quite hilarious... all the students were been told to embark in pairs to watch people as they eat, and discreetly record how much the subjects perform scanning behavior and conversation. If I recall correctly, last year our groups has some very interesting reactions from their “subjects”. I can hear people with the VT IRB screaming now.

Mandy and I made some awesome fajitas for lunch which powered a whirlwind tour around Sydney in hunt of internet and more snacks. After my return, I was greeting with data. Lots and lots of data.

I spent 3 hours entering in data.

So many numbers.

So... many... numbers.

It's safe to say my brain is completely fried at this point. Completely.

In the ca. 15 minutes I had in between data entry and a module discussion that I had absolutely not prepared for at all I had a well-rounded dinner of crumpets. I am obsessed with crumpets. And they're on sale at Woolworth's. Body, I'm sorry. You will be poorly nourished. Get. Over. It.

The module discussion went as planned, I stood up, said follow the module book and sat back down. Sounds like my wines and vines reply... “read the book”. That sums it up.

After the discussion I went back over to my favorite establishment, McDonald's, to mooch off the internet which refused to comply. Instead, I wandered around by the circular quay which was having an event to promote the use of less (or no) petrol by turning gas pumps into different things- for instance I saw a fish tank, scarecrow, greenhouse, fountain (huge...), dollhouse, piano (personal favorite!), popcorn machine, icee maker, old-fashioned T.V., gumball machine... the list goes on.... Sadly, I was sans camera but thank goodness for iPhones.

Little known secret- there's a pocket of free wifi at the corner of Pitt St. and Underwood (for you, Claire) street. I love these little discoveries.

I think Blacksburg has tainted me. I walked around tonight in shorts and flip-flops while the resident Ozzies at the Australian (clever) sat outside basking in the numerous heat lamps. I can only hope that this is foreshadowing how NZ will go. I'm terrified of the temperatures there. It's going to be freezing.

No comments:

Post a Comment