Saturday, June 4, 2011

Does anyone else have a fuzzy setting?


Ever gotten to the bottom of your clothes and realize that while you have a load in the washer, that you literally have NO clothes to wear? I mean, absolutely nothing. Not even enough to wear to bed. This is what procrastinating on laundry has done to me.

Current conditions: Noosa, paradise. Previous conditions: Fraser, not so much.
Our electrified fence/gate. Intimidating.
Morning in Fraser Island was as per “norm”, everyone frantically finishing some sort of assignment to meet the morning deadline. I leisurely sipped coffee and watched it unfold. NOT. I was fretting about a workload of my own; I attempted to do a coherent job grading the concept maps which is far harder than it sounds. A little thing happened that certainly brightened my day: while I was monotonously brushing my teeth I watched a cockatoo flock land on the tree outside my room. Afterwards, the cockatoos left and were replaced by lorikeets. It was quite an enjoyable way to start my morning!

Once everyone had their labs in, we went for a walk around the accommodations to see the local flora (and some fauna). We hunted for fig wasps which was a success as well as sniffed the formic-acid emitting goldbutt ants. Seriously folks, this is the common name. I can’t make this up.

Barry took some time to point out the red gum tree which has leaves with soap-like properties. A few of the students, myself included, decided to take it for a test run which left my hands feeling… green. Apparently this plant is used to help treat stomach ailments as well as eye infections. Interesting.
Itty bitty bee!
We were treated this morning by a visit from the national park services in the form of dingo management. A few of their number came to talk to us about tagging said dingoes and tracking them to keep them out of trouble. Apparently they’ve been equipping about 20 of the canines with collars costing upwards of $4,000 AUS, EACH. Amazing.

Quickly shoving food down our throats, we hauled it out of fraser Island to beat the incoming tides. While we were waiting ont eh ferry back to the mainland we played on the beach and poked little gelatinous blobs of washed up jellyfish. I promise, again, I’m really older than five.
A "washout"
Teeny jelly
The drive to Noosa was scenic at worst, glorious at best. The colored sands were a constant spectacle but it was an interesting trip to say the least in our 4WD van/bus.
Colored sands as far as the eye can see
What happens when the 4WD goes wrong
Open road... fishing on the open road...
 We made a stop at the Double Island Point lighthouse where we took in some spectacular views and attempted to spot whales. As disappointing as it was not seeing a breaching humpback, it was very difficult not to be tickled pink just by looking at the surrounds.
At the peak
View from the top
The "Ireland" pose
Coming in to Noosa (Noosaville) we took a ferry that is apparently based on wires so it is essentially automatic. I feel like this is a bad idea. 

We got a whirlwind bus tour of the place before being deposited at our living arrangements. TO be perfectly honest, I think it disoriented me more so than assisting my personal compass. Not important. That’s what running is for. 

The living arrangements here are borderline luxury. I got my pick from two rooms (one bed for each night if I want), started laundry (that may never be done), stocked the fridge and cooked using a microwave. I feel spoiled.

Tonight we had a meeting to become oriented which was rather run of the mill. On our way back in to start the night regime, a student spotted a frog. In a lighting flash I found myself underneath the bushes shoving my hand into the brush to snatch the unwary cane toad. I heard warnings of “don’t let him squirt poison” or “don’t touch him, he’s toxic!”.

Heh. Little do they know. To get those suckers to emit the toxins you literally have to stab the paratoid glands. My hands aren’t made out of blades, I think it will be okay. 

Anyhow, the students still hanging around after watching me hold the peeing toad got to have a little pet on the leathery skin and play with the toad. He struggled a bit but actually seemed quite content after a little bit. I think I may have made a few cane toad fans. Maybe I can hunt again tomorrow…

No comments:

Post a Comment