Thursday, June 4, 2015

Running on fumes

Nespresso machines are weird. I tried it. It also tastes weird. Turns out that the funny looking ristretto capsule is full-force espresso. And horrible.

I make instant coffee. Halfway though I think "this isn't so bad" until I realize the coffee settled on the bottom. Of course hot milk with sugar isn't "so bad". I gave it a hardy swirl. Taste is akin to motor oil.  Nevermind.

Note to self: Coffee in Scotland is a big fat NO.

Wearing all my running clothes I waltzed up to the front desk and asked Matt the best plan of attack for the famed Holyrood Park ("did I say that right?"). He answered "Oh, so easy! Turn right, run down the hill and there's a path on your right. It's quite hilly."

"PSHHH.. Hills. You're funny. It'll be FINE."

Matt was right.

I thought I had take the wrong track around the Holyrood Park, but no, going straight up the sister hill of Kennesaw Mountain was correct. No wonder none of the Scottish people smiled back: they were in agony. As agonizing and tough as the hill (imagine one mile going up without breaks) was, I couldn't help but just thank God for my ability to run, the gorgeous weather, and the blessing of traveling to Scotland.

Regardless, the run itself was absolutely spectacular. I stopped many times, snapping pictures, videos and panoramas and relishing the relief. The photos speak for themselves.

I ran by this with my mouth hanging open. The whole run.

St. Anthony's Chapel Ruins and swans.

On the side of the mountain before the descent

Looking back

Outside the Scottish Parliament Building

Just. Wow.
And then I come back from my run where child one and child two need help making coffee from the demon nespresso machine. The circus never ends.

Trying to figure out what to do for the day, I gave Elena's room a ring where we decided to hike up to see Arthur's Seat, a 3-mile venture. Sure, why not? A spectacular day shouldn't go to waste... ever.

Scottish Parliament

Beautiful hiking day!

They might hate the gorse, but I think it's pretty


The peak!

Best. Advisor. Ever.


Notice the stance. 100% necessary. The wind up there was roller-coaster force.

Frolicking in the Scottish hillsides. I'm an adult. I promise.

See? Pretty.

St. Anthony's Chapel ruins


The road up, looking back.


Post-hike, I went back to my room, discarded the sweaty clothes in a way that would make my mom cringe, and scampered over to St. Giles for a lunchtime piano concert. I was early, so I chatted to the elderly ladies (from England) at the gift shop before heading into hear Will Pickvance. This man is brilliant. He sent around a sheet of paper and asked us, the audience, to write down any music we'd like to hear. He received an eclectic assortment and seamlessly put together "When the Saints Go Marching In", "Clair de lun" and "Imagine" by the Beatles. I feel that very few people could do that well.

St. Giles round 21375

Stomach reminding me of needs, I recruited the energizer bunny and sir limps-a-lot to head to Sainsbury's, a Scottish market chain, to get some lunch. We should have done this earlier. Scottish people really love their bacon-flavored chips. I got some CRUMPETS (!!!!), strawberries, yogurt and several different salads to suit my fancy.

Dear sweet nuggets of wheaty goodness. Ate half the pack. NO SHAME.
We made a stop at the Scott Memorial, a honorary steeple-like monument in memory of Sir Walter Scott. It was rather impressive.

The statue doesn't fit the architecture

And then there was this guy. David Livingstone, a missionary that worked in South Africa. Much unappreciated by the birds.

He has a hairstyle of bird poop.
Recuperation before the opening ceremonies of ISBNPA was quick but needed. The ceremony itself was a really neat keynote from Dr. Wyke and Dr. Hunt about the FFIT program, a men's weight loss 'club' that uses sports to create a sort-of, not-really, spin-off on weight watchers for men. It's actually really cool. Essentially, they have clubs that involve local soccer teams to create a behind-the-scenes club with their favorite teams and they lose weight together and establish healthy lifestyles... while playing soccer! Imagine the impact we could have with American football. Wow.

Kicking it off right in Scotland, the opening ceremonies included lots of bagpipes. It was incredible, just amazing!
And these are kids
Afterwards we went to the poster session and I chatted up nutrition with quite a few other students who got really excited about my work. It's so refreshing to get the "conference jazz" since I'm usually met with blank stares and forced smiles when I talk in peppy tones about what I study.

En route back to the hotel, Elena and I passed the Grassmarket, boasting pubs like The Last Drop (where people drank before being executed in the square- yes, this is real) and the White Hart Inn. See below.

Sounds brilliant. Can we get these in the states?
I think at this point my fitbit is near explosion status at 32K+ steps and 229 active minutes. Pretty exhausting day I'd say. The melatonin is in. I'm waiting for the crash.


2 comments:

  1. I am so utterly jealous of you right now. The gorse looks lovely, though maybe if I had to deal with it personally, I wouldn't like it so much. I'd love to meet you over American coffee when you're back to talk about this trip! :-) Vanessa

    ReplyDelete